A Taste Of Honey – Lyrics
Live At The BBC
“Pop Go The Beatles”
Tuesday 23rd July, 1963
A Taste of Honey
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Song by the Beatles|
|from the album Please Please Me|
|Released||22 March 1963|
|Recorded||11 February 1963|
|Songwriter(s)||Bobby Scott/Ric Marlow|
The Beatles performed Lenny Welch‘s adaptation, slightly changing the lyrics in the chorus, as part of their repertoire in 1962  and as the instrumental version by Acker Bilk was popular in the United Kingdom at the time, the song was chosen to be recorded for their 1963 debut album, Please Please Me. A version from this time was released in 1977 on the album Live! at the Star-Club in Hamburg, Germany; 1962.
In the US, this song first appeared on the Vee-Jay Records album Introducing… The Beatles. They also performed “A Taste of Honey” seven times for BBC radio shows, including Here We Go, Side by Side, and Easy Beat. In 1967, McCartney was inspired to compose “Your Mother Should Know” based on a line taken from the screenplay.
- Paul McCartney – lead vocals, bass
- John Lennon – acoustic guitar, backing vocals
- George Harrison – lead guitar, backing vocals
- Ringo Starr – brushed drums
- In 1964 jazz singer Morgana King released a version which became her signature song.
- The Hollies included the song at their third US album Beat Group! (1966)
- Tony Bennett reached #94 in the US with a vocal version for his album The Many Moods of Tony in 1964. His version of “A Taste of Honey” was recorded on September 11, 1963, with Tony Bennett on the vocals, accompanied by the Ralph Sharon Trio, and arranged by Dick Hyman.
Television and film
- The song is used for the theme of the UK comedy series Hardware.
- The song is used in the 2000 Australian film The Dish, a partially fictionalised account of the role that the Parkes Observatory played in relaying the live television feed of man’s first steps on the moon, during the Apollo 11 mission in 1969.
- Herb Alpert‘s version is the opening and closing tune of the Italian Rai Radio 1‘s sport broadcast Tutto il calcio, minuto per minuto (All soccer, minute by minute).
- Whitburn, Joel (2002). Top Adult Contemporary: 1961-2001. Record Research. p. 19.
- MacDonald, Ian (1998). Revolution in the Head. London: Pimlico. p. 231. ISBN 0-7126-6697-4.
- “The Beatles Bible: A Taste Of Honey”. Retrieved August 16, 2009.
- A Taste Of Honey | The Beatles Bible
- Holden, Stephen (September 2, 1985). “JAZZ: MORGANA KING”. The New York Times. Retrieved August 15, 2018.
- The Interactive Tony Bennett Discography
- The Billboard Book of Top 40 Hits, 6th Edition, 1996