Any Time At All – Remastered 2009
Any Time At All – Lyrics
Any Time at All
|“Any Time at All”|
|Song by the Beatles|
|from the album A Hard Day’s Night|
|Released||10 July 1964|
|Recorded||2 June 1964|
“Any Time at All” is a song by the English rock band the Beatles. Credited to the Lennon–McCartney partnership, it was mainly composed by John Lennon, with an instrumental middle eight by Paul McCartney. It first appeared on the Beatles’ A Hard Day’s Night album.
Incomplete when first brought into EMI Studios on Tuesday 2 June 1964, Paul McCartney suggested an idea for the middle eight section based solely on chords, which was recorded with the intention of adding lyrics later. But by the time it was needed to be mixed, the middle eight was still without words and that is how it appears on the LP. McCartney sings the second “Any time at all” in each chorus because Lennon couldn’t reach the notes. “Any Time at All” reprises a George Martin trick from “A Hard Day’s Night” by using a piano solo echoed lightly note-for-note on guitar by George Harrison.
In addition to A Hard Day’s Night, “Any Time at All” was included on:
- Extracts from the Album A Hard Day’s Night British EP.
- Capitol album Something New
- Rock ‘n’ Roll Music compilation LP.
- John Lennon – lead vocal, acoustic rhythm guitar, electric guitar (concluding chord)
- Paul McCartney – backing vocal, bass, piano
- George Harrison – 12-string lead guitar, classical guitar[page needed]
- Ringo Starr – drums, cowbell[page needed]
- In 1973 Blue Ash No More, No Less Mercury Records SRM1-666
- In 1976, C.B. Victoria recorded a version for his album “Dawning Day”
- In 1981, Nils Lofgren included a version on his album Night Fades Away.
- In 1990, Austrian band Opus on their album Magical Touch.
- In 1991, Dweezil Zappa released a cover version for his album, Confessions.
- In 2012, OK Go released a cover version on their first compilation album, Twelve Days of Ok Go.
- In 2014, Bryan Adams recorded a version for his album Tracks of My Years.
- In 2014, Ali Campbell covered the song on his album Silhouette.
- Miles 1997, p. 164.
- Sheff 2000, p. 195.
- ““Any Time At All” by The Beatles. The in-depth story behind the songs of the Beatles. Recording History. Songwriting History. Song Structure and Style”. beatlesebooks.com. Retrieved 5 March 2021.
- The Beatles Bible 2009.
- Lewisohn 1988, p. 44.
- Alan W. Pollack’s Notes on “Any Time At All”
- “95 – “Any Time at All““. 100 Greatest Beatles Songs. Rolling Stone. 10 April 2020.
- Margotin, Philippe; Guesdon, Jean-Michel (2014). Books on Google Play All The Songs: The Story Behind Every Beatles Release. Running Press. ISBN 978-1603763714.
- Margotin & Guesdon 2014.
- MacDonald 2005, p. 120.
- “Any Time At All”. The Beatles Bible. 2009. Retrieved 27 June 2009.
- Lewisohn, Mark (1988). The Beatles Recording Sessions. New York: Harmony Books. ISBN 0-517-57066-1.
- MacDonald, Ian (2005). Revolution in the Head: The Beatles’ Records and the Sixties (Second Revised ed.). London: Pimlico (Rand). ISBN 1-84413-828-3.
- Miles, Barry (1997). Paul McCartney: Many Years From Now. New York: Henry Holt & Company. ISBN 0-8050-5249-6.
- Sheff, David (2000). All We Are Saying: The Last Major Interview with John Lennon and Yoko Ono. New York: St. Martin’s Press. ISBN 0-312-25464-4.